Lily de Silva, M.A., Ph.D.
University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
VU-Times font (Viet-Pali Unicode)
is used in this document
1. Conjugation of Verbs
The Present Tense, Active Voice
So far only the present tense, active voice, third person singular and
plural have been introduced. This lesson gives the conjugation in full.
3rd: (So) pacati = He cooks
2nd: (Tvaṃ) pacasi = You cook
1st: (Ahaṃ) pacāmi = I cook
(Te) pacanti = They cook
(Tumhe) pacatha = You cook
(Mayaṃ) pacāma = We cook
2. Examples in sentence formation
1. So bhattaṃ pacati =
He cooks rice.
2. Tvaṃ bhattaṃ pacasi =
You (sg.) cook rice.
3. Ahaṃ bhattaṃ pacāmi =
I cook rice.
1. Te bhattaṃ pacanti =
They cook rice.
2. Tumhe bhattaṃ pacatha =
You (pl.) cook rice.
3. Mayaṃ bhattaṃ pacāma =
We cook rice.
3. Translate into English:
1. Tvaṃ mittehi saddhiṃ rathena āpaṇamhā bhaṇḍāni āharasi.
2. Ahaṃ udakamhā padumāni āharitvā vāṇijassa dadāmi.
3. Tumhe samaṇānaṃ dātuṃ cīvarāni pariyesatha.
4. Mayaṃ sagge uppajjituṃ ākaṅkhamānā sīlāni rakkhāma.
5. Te dhammaṃ adhigantuṃ ussahantānaṃ samaṇānaṃ dānaṃ dadanti.
6. So araññamhi uppatante sakuṇe passituṃ pabbataṃ āruhati.
7. Mayaṃ sugatassa sāvake vandituṃ vihārasmiṃ sannipatāma.
8. Āgacchantaṃ tāpasaṃ disvā so bhattaṃ āharituṃ gehaṃ pavisati.
9. Ahaṃ udakaṃ oruyha brāhmaṇassa dussāni dhovāmi.
10. Tvaṃ gehassa dvāraṃ vivaritvā pānīyaṃ pattamhā ādāya pivasi.
11. Ahaṃ hiraññaṃ pariyesanto dīpamhi āvāṭe khaṇāmi.
12. Phalāni khādantā tumhe rukkhehi oruhatha.
13. Pāsāṇasmiṃ ṭhatvā tvaṃ candaṃ passituṃ ussahasi.
14. Mayaṃ manussalokamhā cavitvā sagge uppajjituṃ ākaṅkhāma.
15. Tumhe araññe vasante mige sarehi vijjhituṃ icchatha.
16. Mayaṃ uyyāne carantā sunakhehi saddhiṃ kīḷante dārake passāma.
17. Tvaṃ rukkhamūle nisīditvā ācariyassa dātuṃ vatthaṃ sibbasi.
18. Mayaṃ puññaṃ icchantā samaṇānaṃ dānaṃ dadāma.
19. Tumhe saccaṃ adhigantuṃ ārabhatha.
20. Tvaṃ gītaṃ gāyanto rodantaṃ dārakaṃ rakkhasi.
21. Mayaṃ hasantehi kumārehi saha uyyāne naccāma.
22. So pānīyaṃ pivitvā pattaṃ bhinditvā mātulamhā bhāyati.
23. Pāsādaṃ upasaṅkamantaṃ samaṇaṃ disvā bhūpālassa cittaṃ pasīdati.
24. Mayaṃ araññaṃ pavisitvā ajānaṃ paṇṇāni saṃharāma.
25. Khettaṃ rakkhanto so āvāṭe khaṇante varāhe disvā pāsāṇehi paharati.
4. Translate into Pāli:
1. I call the child who is stroking the dog's body.
2. We try to learn the truth speaking with the monks who assemble in the
3. Sitting in the park you (pl.) eat fruits with friends.
4. You drink milk seated on a chair.
5. We set out from home to go and see the deer roaming in the forest.
6. I wish to understand the doctrine.
7. Standing on the mountain we see the moonlight falling on the sea.
8. I drag the farmer's cart away from the road.
9. You (pl.) sit on the seats, I bring drinking water from the house.
10. We wander in the fields looking at the birds eating seeds.
11. I advise the wicked man who kills pigs.
12. You (sg.) get frightened seeing the snake approaching the house.
13. I ask questions from the men who come out of the forest.
14. Seeing the crying child we call the doctor going on the road.
15. I protect virtues, give alms to the monks and live in the house with
16. Good men who fear evil deeds are born in heaven.
17. Expecting to get profit we bring goods from the city.
18. We stand under the tree and sprinkle water on the flowers.
19. I wash the bowls with water and give (them) to the doctor.
20. Searching for the truth I give up the house and enter the monastery.
21. Wishing to see the monks you (pl.) assemble in the park.
22. I see a fruit falling from the crow's beak.
23. You (sg.) cross the sea and bring a horse from the island.
24. I set out from home to bring a lamp from the market.
25. Having taken a basket I go to the field to collect corn.
11 | 12 |
32 | Appendix
Workbook: 01-05 | 06-10 |
11-15 | 16-20 |
21-25 | 26-32
32 | Phụ đính
"The Pāli Primer" is a publication of the Vipassana
Research Institute (http://www.vri.dhamma.org).
It aims to provide an elementary understanding of the Pali language.
to Main Index - Trở
về trang Thư Mục]
last updated: 06-08-2004